Wherein our heroes find that they have not heard the last of Lady Elaydren d’Vown of House Cannith and that not all things that have been buried remain so…
Taken from Amy’s notes:
Minhamelk, Val’s uncle, left on a Lyrandar ship shortly before the end of the war to Stormreach. Val spends 10s to pay a clerk to do research to find the ship.
Quill writes Aunt Krishena a letter asking her to sponsor us to the Clifftop Adventurers Guild. We decide against the Deathsgate Explorers group.
Wystaria and Maker went to House Sivis message center and someone had broken in. The House Sivis rep was unconscious. We had a message via speaking stone and they broke in and took it. It was apparently kobolds and a cloaked figure. Maker thinks based on the footprint that the cloaked figure is warforged.
We are discussing the missing message when something streaks by the balcony. Caredric goes out to check, and a giant owl shows up right in his face. It gives him a message and flies off.
The normal means of communication seem to have been compromised, so I have sent this special messenger to personally find you and deliver this letter.
You served me once before and now I need your help again. Time is short. I feel that our enemies have discovered me and are closing in.
Meet me at the place where we first discussed heirlooms and job opportunities. Act quickly, for I believe that we are all in terrible danger.
Your patron, Lady E”
We head to the Broken Anvil. It is in Mason’s Tower, carved into the outer wall. There is only one customer inside…a woman in a warm brown cloak. As we enter she raises her hand as if to cast a spell. She is wearing a mud spattered outfit and is dirty and messy.
“Thank Olladra you’re here. There is no time to waste. Instructions, gold, supplies, are all in this pack. Take it and go. The reward will be great if you accomplish this task.”
The doors burst open as we pick up the pack. 4 kobolds rush in, and a large cloaked figure fires a crossbow at Lady E. There are 4 more kobolds outside behind him.
• Quill attacks with her rapier but misses.
• Lady E casts Mage Armor.
• Caredric drew his sword and attacked a kobold
• Maker casts Grease.
• Ivello fires a crossbow bolt at a kobold but misses
• Val take a five foot step and casts Inertial Armor
• Wystaria moves back beside Lady E and turns a table up for cover
• Grey Fist charges a kobold and swings. He kills the kobold.
• The Kobolds: one stands, and both Caredric and Quill get an attack of opportunity. Caredric cuts him in half and Quill puts her rapier through his skull. Another stands and Grey Fist gets an attack of opportunity. He kills this kobold as well. The next kobold tries to run out of the grease. Maker gets an attack of opportunity (subdual) on him, and he flips into a table and is knocked unconscious.
• Cutlass moves back and reloads his crossbow
• Elleia casts Bless
• Quill readies an action to do Gust of Wind if the kobolds try to jump the grease
• Lady E readies an action
• Caredric shoots Cutlass
• Maker casts Grease on Cutlass’ crossbow
• Ivello holds his action
• Val shoots her crossbow at a kobold. She hits him.
• Wystaria casts Flare, but Cutlass resists the effects
• Grey Fist moves up to the edge and readies an action to attack anyone entering a threatened square
• The Kobolds: one jumps the grease and Quill activates her Dragonmark, smashing him into the far wall and killing him. Another kobold is knocked prone. One made a slingshot attack against Quill but missed. The final kobold holds his action. Ivello moves into range and fires his crossbow at the fallen kobold.
• Cutlass fires his crossbow at Quill, hitting her and draws his sword. He says “And now it is time to kill the traitor!” pointing at Grey Fist
• Elleia shoots at Cutlass with her longbow but misses.
• Lady E keeps her readied action ready
• Caredric uses his rapid shot feat to shoot Cutlass twice and hits both times
• Maker tries to intimidate the remaining kobolds “I grow tired of this…yada, yada…crystal mind spiders…yada, yada” – the last two kobolds run, and Cutlass is shaken
• Val casts Control object on the table, which clunks out towards Cutlass and attacks him; the table hits him and does damage
• Wystaria holds her action
• Grey Fist moves up 5 feet to the doors and attacks, hitting Cutlass
• Quill tumbles through his square and flanks him
• Ivello shoots his crossbow at Cutlass
• The Kobolds: 2 left – running away
• Cutlass is shaken. He chooses to attack Quill, and swings wildly missing by a mile.
• Elleia casts True Strike on herself.
• Lady E keeps her readied action ready
• Caredric uses rapid shot to attack Cutlass twice with his bow, the arrow take him through the head
Lady E encourages us to leave immediately before more assassins show up and she leaves. The innkeeper requests that we leave also. Val tries opening the backpack. It’s a Heward’s Handy Haversack.
Ivello searches the bodies for clues. Quill addresses the innkeeper, who again asks us to leave immediately, and says her house will clean up the mess as a favor to Lady E. She never saw us.
C’Ge tells us that he watched carefully and a warforged and 8 kobolds entered while we were inside.
Maker goes to the Watch. Quill, Grey Fist and Wystaria stay at the inn and wait.
Officer Samuel James is in charge of the Watch that shows up. Quill makes a diplomacy check and he says they are free to leave.
Val, Elleia, Caredric, Ivello and C’Ge return to the room and search for traps and listeners. They only found ink on the outside door knob. Quill, Grey Fist and Wystaria show up.
Maker returns to the room. He sees the ink.
“Has our room been disturbed, has anyone been here that we don’t know?”
1 Handy Haversack
3 containers of holy water
3 potions of CLW
1 tony rod of blue metal, 3” long, sapphire embedded at the end
1 pouch with 150 pp
1 casket with 500 gp
2 pieces of paper
1 everbright lantern
1 flint & steel
1 healer’s kit
3 empty sacks
80 crossbow bolts
50’ of silk rope
6 filled waterskins
18 days of trail rations
There are no airship privateers currently in Sharn. However, there is an Elemental Galleon making the run to Rhukaan Draal leaving on the 25th – 6 day trip – scheduled to arrive the evening of the 24th. It is called The Happy Necromancer, under Captain Lewis Shane d’Lyrandar.
We leave our room and flee to Fallen, hoping to hide there until the 25th.
Faela, a half elf runs an abandoned church on behalf of the Silver Flame. We arrive after dark at Blackstone Church. We are in time for the evening chow line. We help out and clean the place. We rest.
The next day Faela gives a sermon about evil. “We are all warriors in the fight against the evils of everyday life and erosion of compassion.”
We upgrade everyone’s ID, and get IDs for Val and C’Ge. We get traveling papers for everyone from House Lyrandar. We stop briefly in Korranberg. The crew teaches C’Ge sea chanties.
“The Happy Necromancer’s Glee Club”
C’Ge asks about some of the lyrics. “What does grass tickles your ass mean?”
C’Ge asks what underwear is. “Ivello, show him my underwear,” says Quill.
On the evening of the 27th, we are boarded by pirates. Maker sees them and rings the alarm. Quill and Ivello are drinking with Val, Elleia, Caredric and Wystaria. Quill and Ivello are at -1; Val, Caredric and Elleia make their Fort save and are sober.
• 6 Pirates (starboard) boarded the ship
• Maker casts Grease on the port rail.
• 6 Pirates (port) try to board. 3 fall into the ocean.
• The crew move to defend.
• Pirates (starboard)
• Makes casts Force Screen on himself and advances.
• 6 Pirates (port) are attacking Maker, and trying to climb one of the masts.
• The crew attacks the pirates while screaming for help.
• Val casts Inertial Armor on herself as we all run to the deck.
• Pirates (starboard) kill one of the crew.
• Maker casts Vigor on himself.
• 6 Pirates (port) attack Maker and miss.
• The crew member left on deck dies.
• Pirates (starboard) hacked the crew member apart and 3 more are attacking the helm
• Val runs up on deck and cast Energy Ray Fire on one of the skeletons
• Grey Fist charges a pirate and attacks with his fist
• Maker punches another pirate in the face
• Wystaria is below deck to grab her weapons, goes looking for the mink
• Caredric shifts and flies up into the rigging to attack a pirate that is hacking at the rigging
• Quill sees the skeletons attacking the helm. She runs for the helm yelling warnings to everyone. When she gets there she yells “Why didn’t the skeleton cross the road? He didn’t have the guts!”
• Ivello follows Quill to the helm.
• Pirates (port) – one jumps out of the rigging at Caredric. He missed and falls to the deck, losing an arm but getting back up. Three attack Maker and miss.
• C’Ge runs after Quill and Ivello.
• Elleia prepares to rebuke undead. She takes control of all the pirates on deck and has them attack other skeletons.
• Crew begin to arrive and attack.
• Pirates (starboard) attack each other. Some of them move to flank Quill.
• Val casts Control Object on the netting and has it attack a pirate that is running to attack the helm.
• Grey Fist runs across the deck to join us.
• Maker moves and casts Grease on the area where the pirates are standing
• Wystaria asks the minks if they will go with her and do as she says if she releases them. They agree and she releases them.
• Caredric sees a pirate moving towards the helm and goes after it. He doesn’t quite get there.
• Quill attacks the prone pirate in front of her with her rapier. When she gets there she yells “What do you call a stupid skeleton? A numbskull!”
• Ivello attacks the prone pirate in front of him with his mace, but and hits. He smashes the pirate up pretty badly.
• Pirates (port) continue to attack us and each other. The one behind us continues attacking the helm. A chunk of the helm flies off. The air elemental screams.
• C’Ge attacks the other skeleton attacking us that is still standing and punches it successfully.
• Elleia moves closer to the helm. She commands the two skeletons at the back and tells them to protect her, and they move closer to her as she moves.
• Crew chases the skeletons. The Captain charges out of his cabin and up to the helm deck.
• Pirates (starboard) continue to attack us. One tries to stand and Ivello get an attack of opportunity, killing the skeleton. Quill also gets an attack of opportunity and stabs her skeleton.
• Val cast Control Object and smashed the skeleton behind the helm, destroying it.
• Grey Fist runs up the deck, leaps onto the helm deck and punches the skeleton, which falls prone again.
• Maker holds his action.
• Wystaria appears on deck with a swarm of mink, who rush forward and attack everything in their path, including crew members.
• Caredric offered help to the Captain, who told him “pray this works because if it doesn’t we’ll need to abandon ship”.
• Quill tumbles through the greased area, using the pirate as footing, doing bludgeoning damage as she goes through. She lands in front of the Captain, offering her assistance.
• Ivello attacks a pirate and misses.
• Pirates (port) continue to attack.
• C’Ge attacks a pirate, smashing it overboard.
• Elleia commands two of the skeletons to jump off the ship. The rest she commands to attack the minks.
• Crew start attacking minks. The Captain puts his hands on the helm and uses his dragonmark to command the elemental. “Somebody get these skeletons off my deck! HEY! Who let those minks out?”
• Pirates (starboard) attack the minks.
• Val looks off the port side for additional attackers
• Grey Fist looks off the starboard side for additional attackers
• Maker holds his action
• Wystaria stomps into the middle of the swarm, cussing and throwing minks.
• Caredric holds his action
• Quill holds his action
• Ivello holds his action
• Pirates (port) attack minks
• C’Ge holds his action
• Elleia holds her action
• Crew fights minks
Wystaria commands the minks to swim for the shore and freedom! They stop attacking and jump off the ship. Elleia then commands the skeletons to jump off the ship. Wystaria and Elleia help heal the crew members.
The Captain is grateful to the party for defending the ship and gives us a reward of 450 gp.
We arrive in mid-morning on the 1st of Dravago in Rhukaan Draal. The Captain tells us we can stay the night on the ship if we need to. He is leaving in the morning. We stop at the House Lyrandar office and ask the way to the Bloody Market. Ivello asks if they know anyone named Failin. They say yes, to try at an establishment called The Clenched Fist.
Val buys 6 lizards on a stick for 1sp, and asks for directions to The Clenched Fist. They haggle, he buys more and points to the building across the street.
There is a bugbear behind the bar. Val buys a drink. Quill orders what the other half elves are having and gets three drinks. She offers one to Ivello. The bugbear tells her 1gp for the drinks. She asks if he is Failin. He says, “Pay up or I’ll call the guard.” She slides 2gp onto the counter. He gestures to the corner.
There is a scruffy human with expensive clothes sitting in the corner. Quill sidles over and offers him the third drink. He looks at his wine glass pointedly and ignores the drink. She sits down and gestures for Wystaria to join her. They ask him about going to Rose Quarry. He says he can take them there and it will be about a 3.5 day journey. He and Wystaria haggle and she gets his price down to 45gp each and 30 up front. He agrees to leave immediately.